Above: the original Medici Palace
Begun 1444 by Michelozzo for Cosimo de'Medici.
- Photos of the Palazzo Medici-Riccardi Excellent large photos can be even further enlarged with a click.
- A basic history. Nicely done from Stars & Stripes, 1 Nov. 2010.
- On the Palazzo Medici. From the Museums of Florence Web site.
- A collection of exterior details From the Australian National University.
- One photograph of the garden. The Palazzo Medici (-Riccardi) is unique among Florentine Renaissance palaces in preserving its original garden.
- The Procession of the Magi by Benozzo Gozzoli. Painted in 1450/60 in the tiny chapel of the Medici Palace.
- Remember to consider the courtyard also: (right)
On the Medici Palace: primarily text sites
- Some Unknown Descriptions of the Medici Palace of 1459. By Rab Hatfield. The Art Bulletin. Vol. 52, No. 3 (September, 1970): 232-249. Available through JSTOR.
- The First Medici Palace. By Howard Saalman and Philip Mattox. Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians. Vol. 44, No. 4 (December, 1985): 329-345. Available through JSTOR.
- Vasari's Life of Brunelleschi This is (my) Part Three, where Vasari discusses Brunelleschi's projects for Cosimo de'Medici and others.
- Vasari's Life of Michelozzo
- Development of Florentine Palace Architecture From the APT.
- On the Palazzo Medici, with a few photographs.
- On the Medici Villas. From UNESCO.
Early Palaces: Related Sources