Survey of Western Art History 131
Ancient to Medieval
Schedule of Lectures
The Dying Warrior
Please note that the lecture schedule below is liable (nay, doomed) to change, but we will cover the material indicated. See the Current Academic Calendar for deadlines including adding, dropping, and withdrawing. A General Note on the Reading: You will read the entire book. Not everything in the book will be covered in class, but you will profit from the additional knowledge provided by your familiarity with the entire text. Note also that at the end of every chapter is a "Chronological Overview." Please look this over as well. Also note that the lectures will often also contain information not included in the book--this is part of the educational experience. If you miss classes, you will also miss this material which, yes, may be tested.
Week One : August 22-24
- Introduction to the Course Reading: the Introduction and Chapter 1.
- Movie: "How Art Made the World"
Discussed: Cave Painting, the concept of Prehistory, types of representations of the human body.
Dig unearths Stone Age sculptures More "Venus" statuettes found.
Week Two : August 27-August 31
- The Birth of Art Reading: Chapter 1.
- The Ancient Near East II Reading: : Chapter 2.
Babylon Today Hallliburton Destroys Babylon Current Situation for Ancient Art in Iraq
Week Three : September 3-7
- September 3: Labor day--Holiday
- Egyptian Art I Reading Chapter 3: 41-69.
- QUIZ No. 1 Tuesday and Wednesday--take the one in your class
Egyptian Art II Reading: continue above.
Week Four : September 10-14
- "Minos and the Heroes of Homer" Reading Chapter 4.
Prehistoric art of Greece.
- Greece I Reading Chapter 5: 92-112. The Pre-Classical art of Greece.
Week Five : September 17-21
- QUIZ No. 2 (Wednesday/Thursday)
- Greece II Reading: Chapter 5: 112-135.
- Greece III Reading: Chapter 5: 135-151.
Week Six : September 24-28
- Greece IV: continue as above.
- "Italy Before the Romans" The Etruscans Reading: Chapter 6.
Week Seven: October 1-5
- QUIZ No. 3: Greek Art Wednesday/Thursday
- Roman Art I Reading: Chapter 7: 166-184.
On the origins of Rome and the Roman Republic.
- Roman Art II Reading: continue as above. Midterm questions will be posted this day.
Week Eight : October 8-12
- Roman Art III Reading: Chapter 7: 185-199.
- Midterm Thursday/Friday
Week Nine : October 15-19
- Roman Art IV Reading: Chapter 7: 199-219. From the Late Empire to Constantine.
- "The Art of Late Antiquity" Reading: Chapter 8.
Friday, October 19 is Fall Recess
Week Ten : October 22-26
- "Rome in the East: The Art of Byzantium" Reading: Chapter 9.
- "Rome in the East: The Art of Byzantium" Reading: continue as above.
- QUIZ No. 4: Thursday/Friday on Roman Art
Week Eleven : October 29 to November 2
- "In Praise of Allah: Art of the Islamic World" Reading Chapter 10.
- "Europe After the Fall of Rome: Early Medieval Art in the West" Reading Chapter 11.
Week Twelve : November 5-9
- "Early Medieval Art in the West" Reading: continue as above.
- "The Age of Pilgrimages: Romanesque Art" Reading: Chapter 12.
- QUIZ No. 5 Wednesday/Thursday on Late Antique, Early Christian, and Byzantine Art
Week Thirteen : November 12-16
- "Romanesque Art" Reading: continue as above.
- "The Age of the Great Cathedrals: Gothic Art" Reading: Chapter 13.
Week Fourteen : November 19-23
- QUIZ No. 6 Monday/Tuesday. Romanesque and Gothic Art to Chartres. Reading: continue as above.
Week Fifteen : November 26-30
- "Gothic Art" Reading: continue as above.
- "Gothic Art" Reading continue as above--or catch-up. Also, visit: Italian Painting of the 12th to Early 14th Centuries
- November 30: Last Day of Class
The Final Schedule
- ARH131 C MWF 10:10-11:00 a.m EXAM : WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 5 8:00 am. to 10:30 a.m.
- ARH131 FY M (H, WC) 1:25- 4:25 p.m. EXAM : TBA
- ARH131 O TR 9:30-10:45 a.m. EXAM : THURSDAY, DECEMBER 6 8:00 am. to 10:30 a.m.
NO EARLY EXAMS WILL BE GIVEN
Art History Main Page | Art History Department