Survey of Western Art History 131
Ancient to Medieval
Schedule of Lectures
The Dying Warrior
Please note that the lecture schedule below is liable (nay, doomed) to change, but we will cover the material indicated. See the Current Academic Calendar for deadlines including adding, dropping, and withdrawing. A General Note on the Reading: You will read the entire book. Not everything in the book will be covered in class, but you will profit from the additional knowledge provided by your familiary with the entire text. Note also that at the end of every chapter is a "Chronological Overview." Please look this over as well.
Week One : August 24
- August 24: Introduction to the Course Reading: the Introduction and Chapter 1.
Discussed: Cave Painting, the concept of Prehistory
Week Two : August 29-August 31
- August 29: The Birth of Art Reading: Chapter 1. N.B.: This class has been cancelled due to Hurricane Ernesto. We will resume with the class below.
- August 31: The Ancient Near East II Reading: : Chapter 2.
Babylon Today Hallliburton Destroys Babylon Current Situation for Ancient Art in Iraq
Week Three : September 5-7
- September 5: Egyptian Art I Reading Chapter 3: 41-69.
- September 7: QUIZ No. 1 Egyptian Art II Reading: continue above.
Week Four : September 12-14
- September 12: "Minos and the Heroes of Homer" Reading Chapter 4.
Prehistoric art of Greece.
- September 14: Greece I Reading Chapter 5: 92-112. The Pre-Classical art of Greece.
Week Five : September 19-21
- September 19: Greece II Reading: Chapter 5: 112-135.
- September 21: Greece III Reading: Chapter 5: 135-151.
Week Six : September 26-28
- September 26: Greece IV: continue as above.
- September 28: QUIZ No. 2 "Italy Before the Romans" The Etruscans Reading: Chapter 6.
Week Seven: October 3-5
- October 3: Roman Art I Reading: Chapter 7: 166-184.
On the origins of Rome and the Roman Republic.
- October 5: Roman Art II Reading: continue as above. Midterm questions will be posted this day.
Week Eight : October 10-12
- October 10: QUIZ No. 3: on Greek and Etruscan Art Roman Art III Reading: Chapter 7: 185-199.
- October 12 Midterm
Week Nine : October 17-19
- October 17: Roman Art IV Reading: Chapter 7: 199-219. From the Late Empire to Constantine.
- October 19: "The Art of Late Antiquity" Reading: Chapter 8.
Friday, October 20 is Fall Recess
Week Ten : October 24-26
- October 24: "Rome in the East: The Art of Byzantium" Reading: Chapter 9.
- October 26: "Rome in the East: The Art of Byzantium" Reading: continue as above.
Week Eleven : October 30 to November 2
- October 31: QUIZ No. 4 "In Praise of Allah: Art of the Islamic World" Reading Chapter 10.
- November 2: "Europe After the Fall of Rome: Early Medieval Art in the West" Reading Chapter 11.
Week Twelve : November 7-9
- November 7: "Early Medieval Art in the West" Reading: continue as above.
- November 9: "The Age of Pilgrimages: Romanesque Art" Reading: Chapter 12.
Week Thirteen : November 14-16
- November 14: "Romanesque Art" Reading: continue as above.
- November 16: "The Age of the Great Cathedrals: Gothic Art" Reading: Chapter 13.
Week Fourteen : November 21-23
- November 21: QUIZ No. 5 "Gothic Art" Reading: continue as above.
- November 23: Thanksgiving!
Week Fifteen : November 27-29
- November 27: "Gothic Art" Reading: continue as above.
- November 29: "Gothic Art" Reading continue as above--or catch-up. Also, visit: Italian Painting of the 12th to Early 14th Centuries
Reading Days: December 2-5
The Final for:
Section O (TTh 9:30-10:45) is: Thursday, December 7, 8:00 am to 10:30 am
Section P (TTh 11:00-12:15) is: Thursday, December 7, 11:00 am to 1:30 pm
NO EARLY EXAMS WILL BE GIVEN
Art History Main Page | University of Miami Art History Department