Please note that the lecture schedule below is liable (nay, doomed) to change, but we will cover the material indicated. See the Current Academic Calendar for deadlines including adding, dropping, and withdrawing. A General Note on the Reading: Readings are indicated for each week. Note also that our text comes equipped with maps and a Glossary. You are expected to use the correct terminology as expressed in the texts and the lectures in your exams and writing.
Week One: June 27
- Background. Also, explore the course Web site.
- Reading: The Introduction and Chapter 15. "Piety, Passion, and Politics: 15th-Cenury Art in Northern Europe and Spain." Continue with The 15th Century monuments list.
Week Two: July 3, 5
- Italy! 15th Century Italian Art : Chapter 16: "Humanism and the Allure of Antiquity: 15th-Century Italian Art."
- Chapter 17: "Beauty, Science, and Spirit in Italian Art"
- Chapter 18: "The Age of Reformation: 16th-Century Art in Northern Europe and Spain"
- Thursday: First extra-credit quiz--on Chapters 15 and 16
Week Three: July 10, 12
- Tuesday: First Exam: On Chapters 15, and 16
- Chapter 19: Popes, "Peasants, Monarchs, and Merchants: Baroque Art"
- Thursday: Second Extra-Credit Quiz--on Chapters 17, 18, and 19
Week Four: July 17, 19
- Tuesday: Second Exam On Chapters 17, 18, and 19
- Chapter 20: "The Enlightenment and Its Legacy: Art of the Late 18th through the Mid-19th Century"
- Chapter 21: "The Rise of Modernism: Art of the Later 19th Century"
Week Five: July 24, 26
- Chapter 22: "The Development of Modernist Art: the Early 20th Century"
- Chapter 23: "From the Modern to the Postmodern and Beyond: Art of the Later 20th Century"
- Thursday: Third Extra-Credit Quiz--on Chapters 20, 21, and 22 (or wherever we are)
Week Six: July 31
- Finish Chapter 23
- LAST CLASS COURSE ENDSREADING DAY: Wednesday, August 2
- Optional study section in class.
FINAL EXAM : Friday 3 August
NO EARLY FINALS WILL BE SCHEDULED
Return to Art History 132 Course Main Page (Above Right) Umberto Boccioni. Unique Forms of Continuity in Space. 1913.
On Italian Futurism
This Web Site Owned, Created and Maintained by Adrienne DeAngelis