These are organized by topic, and chronologically after Architecture and Surveys.
Surveys: Ancient to Medieval
Here's a Survey of Women in Art History.
- Survey of Western Art History I Taught by Jocelyn Curtis, Towson University.
- Survey of Western Art Taught by Perette Michelli.
- Survey of Art History I Taught by Dr. Alyson A. Gill at Arkansas State University. A beautiful Web site, by the way.
- Survey of Art History 1 Taught by Prof. Christopher L. C. E. Witcombe at Sweet Briar College.
- History of Western Art from Prehistory to Early Renaissance Taught by Prof. Dorothy Verkerk at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Survey of the Visual Arts I: Ancient through Medieval Art Taught by Dr. Allen S. Farber, Oneonta University.
- Survey of Ancient and Medieval Art Taught by Prof. Nick Cahill at the University of Wisconsin. A full outline and many (small) images.
- Survey of Art History I Taught by Prof. Amelia Carr at Allegheny College.
- History of Western Architecture Taught by Dr. Franklin Toker at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Architecture in Rome: History & practice Taught by Prof. Debora White, for the John Felice Rome Center.
- Early Medieval and Romanesque Architecture Taught by Prof. Virginia Jansen, UC Santa Cruz.
- Gothic Cathedral and its culture Taught by Prof. Louis Keloon, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Medieval Art History from Upper Level Surveys to Specialized Classes
- History of European Medieval Art Taught by Dr. Allen S. Farber at SUNY Oneonta.
- Reframing Medieval Art: Difference, Margins, Boundaries An online course taught by Madeline H. Caviness at Tufts University.
- Celtic Art and Cultures Taught by Prof. Dorothy Verkerk at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- Early Christian Archaeology and Art Catholic University of Leuven. In Dutch.
- Topics in Medieval Art: early Christian and Byzantine. Taught at Youngstown State University by famous medievalist Dr. Stephanie Smith.
- Byzantine Art Taught by Prof. Rozmeri Basic, University of Oklahoma. A very flashy site, as is of course only appropriate.
- History of Byzantine Art Catholic University of Leuven. In Dutch.
- Byzantine Art and Civilization. From the University of Kentucky.
- History of Byzantine Art From the Universita di Lecce, Italy. Brief site in English.
- Early Byzantine Art and Architecture Taught by Prof. Jim Bugslag, University of Manitoba.
- Glorious Visions: Medieval Art Taught by Amelia Carr, Allegheny College.
- Gothic Art and Architecture Taught by Prof. Michael Tinkler at Hobart & William Smith Colleges.
- Medieval Art and Literature - the VikingsTaught by Profs. Erussard and Tinkler, Hobart & William Smith Colleges.
- El Camino de Santiago Spanish Medieval Literature 122, taught by Prof. Dagenais at UCLA.
- The Body in Medieval Art Taught by Prof. Thomas E. A. Dale, University of Wisconsin.
Please check with each institution for course listings, requirements, etc.
- B.A. DEGREE IN MEDIEVAL STUDIES Pursue the degree, or just take a few courses. From the University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- M.A. in Arthurian Studies at the University of Lampeter, Wales..."has been designed specifically as a distance, part-time, degree." This school may now be known as U of Wales Trinity Saint David.
- A Survey of Western Art I From Athabasca University, "Canada's Open University."
- Survey of Western Art I From Thompson Rivers University in Canada.
- Survey of Western Art I From Breyer State University. Note from main page: "PLEASE NOTE: Breyer State University is not a state specific University and not a State University."
- Survey of Western Art I. From West Valley College in San Jose, California.
- Byzantine Art A distance- learning course from the University of Exeter.
- "Kingdoms in the Sun: Sicily and Southern Italy in Antiquity and the Middle Ages" a course to be offered through Montclair State University in New Jersey. "[This course] will be available via either an onsite (study abroad) or distance learning option. The course will run for 4 weeks, from late June to late July. More on the program will be available at the end of January at [the Web site above]." Contact:
- Dawn Marie Hayes, Ph.D.
- Associate Professor of European History
- Faculty Director, MSU International Summer Institute in Sicily
- Department of History
- Montclair State University
- 426 Dickson Hall
- Montclair, New Jersey 07043
- E-Mail: Dawn.Hayes@Montclair.edu
Courses on Gender
- Gender in Medieval Europe. Taught by Dr Patricia Skinner. From the University of Southampton, UK.