Home
Calendar
Forms
Village
Guidelines
Fair Schedule
Information
Council & Booth Coord Info
Meeting Minutes
Newsletters
onsite childcare

 

 

 

 

 

Community Village Minutes 
2017

January 12 | February 9 | March 9 | April 13


Community Village Minutes April 13, 2017

Facilitated by Sam & Katie

Agenda Reviewed
Fair Announcements

  • If you have had a wristband you can be a member of the Fair and vote
  • Sunday morning 10:30 OHM circle after the Village circle. Paul Simon is working for Ohmies to help make flags and get things going
  • Spirit booth opening ceremony Friday morning at 10:30am
  • Scott with signs and banners, paint parties will be on site June 11, June 25th, July2, and July 9th. They will have paint and stuff.
  • Green jacket left at last meeting. Take it home today or Tim will keep it. (somebody did take it home)
  • Spring fling May 5, 6pm, the Whirled Pies Downtown (old Cozmic)
  • Workshops and demos. There are forms, and there are forms online. The next meeting in May is the deadline for the Peach Pit.

Site report

  • The site is not flooded.
  • David is (the resident Vegmatic) …
  • Fire wood stack in the public area next to the tipi needs to be made sturdy. The small and piddly stuff goes in the bag.
  • David wants this repeated in May meeting: No cutting of brush living or dead. Go to David and ask if you need support around plants. He is a vegematic, and the steward of the Village land.  
  • Speak loud enough to be heard in the back of the room. More people have hearing issues than we realize.

Consensus

  • We get laughed at for using consensus, because it take far more time (in the short term) than a vote. Voting actually takes longer over time because many people do not feel heard. When we do consensus, it takes a shorter time because we cross many bridges before we ever get to the final pieces, with more of us feeling included and on board.

Council Retreat

  • Who gets to camp in the Village.
    • "Active participants in the life of the village" get to camp in the Village.
    • We encourage elders who have been there for a long time to continue to participate. If they are not participating, it is up to the booth to decide if they can camp in booth space.
    • At least one person in the tent has to be a villager as defined above.
    • If you have a lot of teenagers (only a reasonable amount that the adult can supervise) or have a really big tent...there are some other spaces that may work better. You need to get on that early.

  • Construction Coordinator - Rick B (541.543.0624 Rickkb@LIVE.COM) is going to be the coordinator for this season. We don't expect many red tags this year.
    He has agreed to: prepare for things that need to be fixed, organizing the work party work - he shared that he wants people to learn simple skills to do construction work -

Satellite Meetings Report

  • Satellite report - Mt Shasta. Southern meeting consented on having a meeting using Skype. Green Earth people say “hey, let’s be mindful of our carbon footprint.”
  • Northern meeting about 25 people total. People were late. Bunch of new people. Alan from Copwatch spoke for an activist report, also one form Indymedia was presented. No demands of the larger group, wanted to know more about path planning. Talked about elder status, camping etc.

Camping

  • Sharon (541-602-4567 pepppar@yahoo.com) is the camping coordinator. Email it, mail it, hand it to her, all her info is on there. PLEASE READ IT, she has take time to really make it nice. GIVE IT TO HER BY MAY MEETING AT THE LATEST. Makes notes on the back if needed, and she will contact you if anything is needed.
  • People may not understand where to camp. The Swamp and the Meadow, behind or on top of booths, Zen Acres and Far Side.
  • If people have not camped out there, camp coordinator will help you.
  • Zen Acres is often large and with kids. Past Ritz, heading towards Arrow. Far Side camping is on the Far side of the Far Side.
  • Small tents if you are in the village.
  • DO NOT SET UP EARLY. If you need to for some reason talk to Sharon.

Eligibility

  • House, Wild Edibles and Intentional Communities were looked at this year. All was well
  • Some booths are service booths, some are comprised of groups, others of individuals. If you are a service booth you do not need to fill out eligibility. They will need a list of pass requests, and later will need the names etc.
  • All of the eligibility forms are being filled in online. This makes data collection much easier. There is a link. There is a link for eligible groups and individuals that are separate.  It is evolving. Will get better every year.
  • Omo says what about those who don’t use computers. Katie answered - The booth coordinators would be the bridge for those who did not want to use electronics.
  • Why aren't all our forms online? Because no one has done it yet. (Links are now online)

Only One Fun Thing!! Love is the Power!!

Activist Report

  • Heather Green Activist Report - offering a 3 to 1 savings account (You put in 1 they raise it to 3) up to $12,000 to build a sustainable business
    • K-12 working with youth to help them with appropriate technology, permaculture,
    • Starting 13-18 years old entrepreneurship program
    • Aoorevecho.net you can donate to this.
  • Eric - Arts booth coordinator. Community involvement and advocacy.
  • Artists are discontent. Changing things through discontent.
  • Renegade Education project renegadeeducation.org
  • Prime focus on arts education and arts advocacy.
  • Working on Career and technical education in schools. (theatre, dance music in a career track). Working with professional artists in mentoring students on how to get out there and get work seen.
  • Advocacy, keeping art from getting cut. We are good as a country at creativity and design, not the math and sciences as global stats show. We are trying to put the value back in communities and schools.

Theme

  • Narrowed down to three
    • Water is Life
    • (Blank) Now More than ever
    • Love is the Power
    • Discussion lead to... Now more than ever
    • Love is the Power, Now More than Ever
    • Consented: On the T-shirts it will say “Love... Now More than Ever” and each booth has a thing where they can put a word in “(Blank) Now more than ever)

Unfair announcements
Announcements were made. Oblio encouraged people to put these things on the net. Send them to Tim ahead of time to get them in the Theater of Change. Tim@gwproj.com

Booth breakdown

Notes by Oblio, edited by Tim


Community Village Meeting March 9, 2017

Facilitators: Sue Barnhart and Lois Inman Notes: Tim Mueller

We all sang with Paul Simon, who moves us.
Agenda Review

Fair announcements
- This Sunday 10-4 LCC Longhouse. Diversity Workshop
- 3rd facilitator needed for Moon Lodge. More info here: https://www.facebook.com/OCF-Womens-Moon-Lodge-939026556182759/
- CV meeting facilitators needed. Talk to Sam samuelrutledge@gmail.com (541)337-6970
- No Theater of Change this month, hard drive temporarily missing.
- We should say “Thank You” to the Church, shouldn’t we? Maybe with Thank You cards…
- South Satellite Meeting: Saturday April 8, 2017, 2pm to 4pm, Wassayaks Cafe in Mt Shasta http://www.wassayaks.com/  333 N. Mt Shasta Boulevard, Mt Shasta, CA 96067
- North Satellite Meeting: KBOO's Studios: April 9th , 2pm-4pm, KBOO Radio Conference Room, 20 SE 8th St., Portland Oregon 97214 Map Here

Site Report
The Long Tom is a few feet above flood stage, not much. Canoeing will require frequent portage, too shallow.

Consensus
…is about cooperation to create the best decision

Council Confirmation
Big John is confirmed to Council after discussions with those who had concerns. Council is now complete for 2017.
Dea Lisk: 541-543-8832. dealisk@yahoo.com
Oblio Stroyman 541-579-9289 oblio.stroyman@gmail.com
Drake Eubank: 541-579-9022 drake@efn.org
Karla Caudell 541.337.5319    kjcaudell@gmail.com
Tim Mueller 541-521-7208  tim@gwproj.com
Diane Albino (541) 933-2584    iriedi@yahoo.com
David Hoffman (541) 484-9204    fixit@efn.org
Big John: 541-606-4151 bigsqurlnuts@gmail.com 
Sam Rutledge samuelrutledge@gmail.com (541)337-6970
Katie MacCionnaith kmaccionnaith@gmail.com 541 232 0784
Shadow - Lios Inman (541)836-2670

Camping Report
Sharon Stahl-Bogdanovic 541-602-4567 pepppar@yahoo.com is the Camping Coordinator again this year. The 2017 camping form is online: http://members.efn.org/~comvill/forms.html .
She requests a list by May meeting from Booth Coords listing all folks from their booths that are camping in a Village camping area. Campers please use the online form, completed in a timely manner. NO setting up of tents before Wednesday without prior authorization from Sharon. Don’t forget to identify your tent as yours. Tents must be SMALL so all of us can fit in limited space. Don’t put your tent up until you get permission so that is doesn’t have to be moved. Village camping is only for people getting passes through the Village.
A discussion then happened that asked about campers in Village spaces that have not met eligibility this year (eg: elders). Different opinions were expressed, and the issue was given to the Council to deliberate at their meeting March 16, 7pm at 2096 ½ Arthur St.

Eligibility Committee Report
The organizations in the House were reviewed with no issues. Intentional Communities was next, with a few issues needing further investigation with the Booth Coord. Wild Edibles will also be reviewed this season. These booths were determined to not need eligibility forms as they are “infrastructure” booths rather than activist booths: Info, Restaurant, Youth Power, 4A, Little Village, Council. A new eligibility form will be published very soon, with the hope that an online fillable form can be used as much as possible, rather than the traditional print and hand in variety.

Workshops and Demos
To be in the Peach Pit, all workshops must be on the schedule by the end of May meeting. Our guidelines call for all of us to share our activism with the world and not being on time for inclusion in the Peach Pit makes that kinda difficult. Organizations do not need to be in the Village to schedule a workshop. If for any reason your scheduled workshop is cancelled or does not happen, please inform the Info Booth ASAP and edit the posted schedule so folks know.

Activist Reports
Taxes for Peace Not War
Sue Barnhart has been a war tax resister since her 20’s. Even $5 unpaid could have an impact. In some cases the IRS may recoup the money with wage garnishment. One way to not pay war taxes is to minimize your taxable income. Ways to avoid taxable income: 1) Live below the taxable income level. 2) Have a money losing business to lower your taxes due – this works for a number of years before the IRS wonders if it isn’t just a hobby. 3) Work under the table. 4) Adopt a child or other tax deduction methods. Write a letter accompanying your tax return saying, “I’m not paying $...” then donate the amount to a just cause, or put it in a separate account so that you have it if forced to pay later.
Join the Tax Day demonstration in April 18 at the Post Office. Contact Sue here: suebarnhart2@gmail.com
House Centered Activism
During the Dust Bowl of the Great Depression, the Department of Agriculture sent a Phd-level science team to the the Old World to see what could help us. Their landmark report still applies today: (https://www.ncat.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Lowdermilk-Conquest-of-the-Land.pdf ) Neglect of the soil has "helped topple empires and wipe out entire civilizations" and care of the soil "has enabled other societies to flourish for centuries".
We must live in a relationship with nature, not over it. Being a passive consumer of food is not freedom. For more info, David: (541) 484-9204 fixit@efn.org
“We are only truly secure when we look out our kitchen windows and we see our own food growing and our friends working nearby. - Bill Mollison
"The ultimate role of ethnobotany lies not in the identification of new natural products for the benefit of the modern world, but rather in the illumination of a profoundly different way of living in relationship to nature." - Wade Davis
"There is, then, a politics of food that, like any politics, involves our freedom. We still (sometimes) remember that we cannot be free if our minds and voices are controlled by someone else. But we have neglected to understand that we cannot be free if our food and its sources are controlled by someone else. The condition of the passive consumer of food is not a democratic condition. One reason to eat responsibly is to live free." --Wendell Berry

Engaging the Public – discussion
- Performance to attract attention
- For orgs trying to change the world, encourage booth visitors to sign up to contribute resources, get involved
- Common Ground action: interview two random people and find their common ground. Do they both like spinach? Have the same shoes? Whatever, then celebrate that common ground.
- What works in your booth now? We ask…
- What in your booth moves people emotionally? We also ask…
- Wear a heart that says “community hugger”
- Green Earth does prayer flags that are updated, paraded and burned at Burning Man.
- Still a lot of division among Progressives. Go deeper in booth conversations.
- Kids talk about this, too. They wanna talk, wanna engage, but are lost as to how to do something.
- Get involved – booth’s emphasize how to help
- Have a bulletin board for Fair goers with ways to help posted
- Theme “Village for President” Have an hourly bell that rings and hoot n holler to attract attention.
- Wild Edibles has a plant display that pulls people in and staffed to engage and answer questions: Hook & Educate
- LL has bee keepers who report many of their hives failed this winter. They give out seed packets – pay it forward.
- Use the stage for more stuff, maybe between acts (stage crew will look into this). Short skits could happen, short blubs about an activist group could be read during musical acts
- Show an open front door with visual displays as the Hook.

Theme ideas
Engage
Pay it Forward
Water is Life
Envision
Village for President
#RESIST
Common Ground
Love is the Power (song)
Get Involved
Now More Than Ever, with space for a specific thing (Love, Peace, Water, Bees, etc)
Activate
Da People
We the People
Earthlings Unite
Make It So
Future
One idea: An activity for kids. Create a “kid’s Passport” document that kids can take to different booths that would offer them some activity or something that they could do and then get their passport stamped.

UnFair announcements
(Consider sending these announcements to tim@gwproj.com a few days prior to the meeting so they can be included in the Theater of Change. I couldn’t keep up with all these, and some happened before I got these notes published so I left them out. Sorry. )
- Girl Scout Cookies are here!
- 3/15 Aunt Gardening (?) envision party
- 4/6 Jair, White Stag Building “What is Life” presentation, speakers
- 4/9 Solidarity International Women’s Day, E. Garden Club
- 5/14 Bee Benefit 2-5pm WOW hall, silent auction, music, more
- No Shame Eugene Every first Friday in the Atrium, perform for fun, short acts.
- Announcing a new sustainable business development program offered through Aprovecho, attached to a federal IDA matching grant and a young eco entrepreneur opportunity.
- Oddfellows -a community family dance that will begin in Cottage Grove in April.
- Tsunami is needing $ support, is gathering pledges to buy their building
- Our Revolution Lane County meets monthly, Saturdays at 11am at Whirled Pies.
- More below…

Booth Breakdown, 30 minutes
Feedback
organic, good outfit colors, nice transition from facilitator to presenter and back, sometimes coulda been louder.

Rush Hour Resist:
Every  night Monday through Friday  from 5pm to 6pm join like minded folks with your signs at the old Federal building at the corner of Pearl and 7th. We are a presence encouraging people who pass by to join the resistance. We are working towards resisting 45 and folks who support his agenda and supporting human rights, health care for all, money for education, saving our planet, etc. Hang out with friends, meet new friends and plan strategies while encouraging the people who are passing by.
Every Tuesday from noon to 1:30 at the new Federal building, the corner of 8th and Ferry, come for a short inspirational rally and then holding up signs for the passing traffic. Some signs are available or bring your own.

Saturday, April 15th, (Traditional) Tax Day . 1 - 4. Rally at Alton Baker Park, march downtown and back to Alton Baker Park to demonstrate for Taxes going to Peace, Not to War. Taxes for life affirming things. Protesting over 50% of our taxes going towards the military and protesting that the rich are not paying a fair share of taxes. The middle class and poor are shouldering the burden of taxes.
Tuesday, April 18th, Tax Day, join us at the Downtown post office, 5th and Willamette from 10 til noon to gather with activists, do a penny poll to show where you would like your tax dollars to go and watch war tax resisters give money away to some local good causes.
Saturday, April 22, save the date fro a march for Science.
Saturday, April 29, save the date for a Climate march.

W.O.W. Hall (aka Community Center for the Performing Arts) will be hosting its Annual General Membership Meeting on Wednesday April 12th at 7 pm.


Community VILLAGE MEETING MINUTES 2/9/17
==============================
OPENING CIRCLE w/hand squeeze pass

FACILITATORS: KATIE & NEL
MINUTES TAKER: KARENK (GreenEarth)

FAIR ANNOUNCEMENTS: 
Report about "Fair Memberships" & Voting, 3 year timeframe

SITE REPORT: (David)
Village came out of storm "pretty well"  but tree came down near Moon Lodge
Site flooded just now, for 1st time: "it's really flooded"
READING FROM FAIR SITE REPORT: Dragon/Commemorative Booth area had significant tree damage & "will require another rebuild"
JOAN: "Can we canoe?" Sometimes it's not walkable as well as canoeable (too hard to portage)
DAVID: Site now at flood level 13ft; max flood height is 16ft
BE SURE & CHECK IN w/OCF FIRST if you are planning to canoe, FIND SHELL-BELL
(sign-in/check poster at entrance)

CONSENSUS RAP (SAM & NEL)
Sam starts out our review: Contrasts conventional democratic decision making with one side versus another & one side outvoting the other with Consensus Decision making. "Our group doesn't use that model" (conventional/voting)
The point in consensus is to have open & honest dialogue," "empathy"  "compassion" & "we don't generally break into camps & do battle w/one another"
NEL: with another group that she is in, w/tasks she was struck by, after days & months of talk & deliberation they weren't able to agree because, "well that's not my first choice" "that's not my first choice either"
CONSENSUS IS ABOUT: talking & sharing & "truly listening" and so "The best choice rises up because of that process"
"We don't block things here; we work them out!"

ELIGIBILITY COMMITTEE REPORT (KATIE)
John-Dale-Katie attended
3 booths picked for review this year:
1. Intentional Communities
2. Wild Edibles
3. the House

Booth Eligibility guidelines for this year are being reviewed in the spirit of "learning as we go" & trying to make sure everyone understands & how they can be applied properly
The goal is for each booth to be "good to go" for 3 or 4 years
Some booths don't need to go through the process, the ones that are Service-oriented (ie Fruit, Childcare)

Q's (none, except repeat booths being reviewed this year)

ONE FUN THING: Tim's Sing-Along-Song: "Love is the Power" (lyrics in Theater of Change) and here: http://www.gwproj.com/SWloveisthepower.html

ACTIVISTS' REPORT: STANDING ROCK/NO DAPL
DAPHNE and SARAH, Eugene Stands With Standing Rock

She and fellow Native activist from Eugene, Sarah have both spent time at Standing Rock/"Oceti Sakowin" as Water Protectors (not "protesters") and shared how they actually met there.

They also shared some of their personal insights about the larger issues that have been raised by the Dakota Access pipeline action, such as Native treaty rights, inter-tribal cooperation and discovering new non-Native allies, both nationwide and globally.

DAPHNE: She is an experienced midwife & compares the Dakota Access Pipeline encampment/action to the birthing process. "It's kind of like we are the gestational process of a movement," with the current stage being close to birth, "the pushing phase."

As a midwife, she knows when a woman is in labor, she needs a lot of support; likewise she thanked the Oregon Country Fair for its support of Standing Rock, for "raising a tremendous amount of money."

She also praised all the people who sent various material means of support & made calls for the halting of the pipeline construction (temporary), which was ordered by President Obama after he got "more calls [about DAPL] than for anything else." The Army Corps of Engineers was also ordered to continue the environmental review, she said, but when Trump came in he threw that "out the window," even though the public comment period was supposed to go until Feb 20th.

There are also very important issues related to Native American treaty rights.
"Even though we legally had these rights, they kind of just walked right over them."

Everyone was very solemn when she announced that construction was restarted on the pipeline TODAY.
"They are drilling today. Today the drills are working."

Standing Rock is located in "the poorest place in the country," with the highest infant mortality rates, 80 percent unemployment, and high obesity and many other health issues. It is in need of much support and many prayers.

She is also an herbal healer and brought along some of her formulations with her to the camps. For some tribal members, she said, it was their first experience with natural healing salves and herbal tinctures.

"I wasn't raised on the reservation, but I have come to see how much privilege I have had," with access to good quality food and consumer goods and the support to learn about natural medicines.

She comes from a "hippie-spiritual" background, and was glad to be able to see how Native people pray together and to witness some of the special ceremonies. Native people do share certain cultural viewpoints, she said, especially when it comes to what women must do during their monthly "moon" time.

Prayer and ceremony are "critical to our movement." "We are a prayerful, peaceful protest," despite the overwhelming presence and violent tactics of the local & state police and the private security forces there.

Like Community Village, Standing Rock/noDAPL uses Consensus decision making and is "a leaderless movement" -- so there have been many issues! It's also a "really slow way to do things, "which can make it even more difficult to accomplish camp logistics and management.

In November, 10,000 supporters "showed up just before a blizzard," she said, which resulted in "mountains of garbage" under the snow that really couldn't be managed or disposed of, despite the best efforts of a recycling volunteer lead person, whom she named as "Garrett," and his dedicated recycling crew.

When it comes to self-governance and inter-tribal matters, "indigenous peoples need to work some of this stuff out for ourselves." But in general, everything about the Standing Rock movement is "empowering and unique, and we're doing it with non-native allies from all over."

SARAH, Eugene Stands with Standing Rock
Next meeting is (DATE?) @7pm @ Growers Mkt
She going to "Two Rivers" camp soon.
But "we need to keep eyes on Standing Rock," she said, with the pipeline construction going forward and those that are still there are still under surveillance and threat of violence. Also the camp is in the process of being deconstructed, and so cleanup at the camps is a "tremendous challenge" right now, especially in the dead of winter, with so much snow & not enough logistical support, there was a very dedicated recycling volunteer at the camp leading that effort but he did not have enough help.

For her, being at Standing Rock "has been a really powerful experience, "even though   it's hard to know what to say or do the right thing or know who to trust...but we're all learning."

She also said the Eugene group is involved in these issues: fossil fuels divestment activities and support for the Apache "Stronghold Camp" in Arizona, where they are fighting copper mine on Indian lands. She is going there soon. "A lot is going on right now & it's hard to know where to focus" as activists.

Sarah also spoke of how she & Daphne met at Standing Rock camp.

Q&A
Q: What's happening on March 10?
DAPHNE: There is a nat'l march in DC plus localized actions; everyone can check out the Facebook page for Eugene Stands with Standing Rock.

LOIS: Like the tree sitters, is anyone willing to get arrested?
SARAH: There are many legal considerations.
NELL: What about the Action tomorrow, at Clear Lake Road/Field office for Army Corps? (details online)

DAPHNE: Concludes with a reading of a quote from Crazy Horse quote
DAPHNE/SARAH sang "Mi Wiconi, Water is Life"
==============================

CONFIRMED COUNCIL CANDIDATES:
1. DRAKE
2. DEA, also standing for KARLA
3. DIANE (phone number has changed, newsl # is not correct)
4. SAM
5. TIM
6. DAVID
7. KATIE
8. KATIE, also standing for OBLIO
9. LOIS says she wants to SHADOW council because "I couldn't stay away, but I didn't want to take on any responsibilities!"
10. BIG JOHN needs more time to settle issues with those who contacted him. He will possibly be confirmed at March meeting.
ALL CONFIRMED EXCEPT FOR BIG JOHN!ß

"ARE WE THE LIGHT IN TROUBLED TIMES?" Discussion

NEL or KATIE: Last meeting we raised the issue of "what are we doing as a village, are we relevant??"

SAM: This is an example of how, with Consensus, "somebody says, 'Hey there's an issue,'" & as a result, "perhaps policy comes from that discussion & perhaps it doesn't." But it's still valuable!

NEL: The important question we are exploring through this process is, "How can each booth be RELEVANT/MORE RELEVANT TO THE WORLD TODAY?" She acknowledged this can be a "touchy" process!

DAVID, for "THE HOUSE":  (Since '83)
Gives history, it's a very unique part of the Village; it started out as "modest display of appropriate technology," and as "a model house" also known as "the Integral House" w/solar shower, composting toilet, greenhouse and demonstration projects, like how to grow/preserve food. This was also about the time that Energy Park started offering showers. The House now 'houses' primarily these groups: OSU MASTER GARDENERS, KLAMATH BIRD OBSERVATORY, and sometimes a local CSA ("Aprovecho"?).

SKEETER (Since '77):
I hope we focus on electoral opportunities & politics & ways to resist Trump administration.
Good to have "visions" of what we want. Back in 70s the vision included "Ecotopia," check the book out!
SUGGESTION: Each booth could focus on what it can do "to get lots of input from people who come in to the Village," make sure to get their ideas & get them excited about getting involved in something!
We should "funnel people" to the Green Party, or Our Revolution, or like groups.
Recognize that "we've got common values with them" (people who voted for Trump)

TIM: CV been around for a long time and so have many CV booths; meanwhile "the world has changed alot," particularly this year, when "it seems the world has spun on its axis"! So we have to make some change as well & let's keep that in mind for this upcoming Fair. Let's come up with "a positive message, a vision message" we can all "resonate with" this year!
WORKSHOPS DEMO FORM ONLINE SOOON

Someone brought up the Yurt dedicated to PeacePilgrim, is that going to continue in that form?
(answer????)

JEANETTE (Green Earth):
Her 24th year in the Village! When she came in, it was always about causes; esp at booth potlucks, we talk about this kind of stuff." She says "we really have evolved into an activist booth." Recalls how for several years the booth had a fun way of bringing attention to issues with two categories: "Spanking & Thanking"! GE always has a good assortment of postcards and petitions.

STEVE (Fruit Booth, 25yrs):
As a community, we're getting older & "us older people are overwhelmed with negativity" from the last election. He thinks it's time that CV "becomes a cure for Electoral Dysfunction!" The way we will do that is by going positive, "everything is going to have to be done in the positive" and being true to our ideals, even if "we don't necessarily communicate them the same way."

KIM (Intentional Communities):
1st year as Booth Coordinator (their regular coord taking 1yr off)
Hoping to bring some fresh energy in! She lives in the East Blair Housing Coop, where they deal with "accountability" within their community. They are also reaching out and socializing w/other ICs. They need to get some "ally" signs (immigrants??) -- however, the Whitaker district has seen some neo-Nazi tagging, so some people are nervous about being public w/their support. They also deal a lot with the issue of "how to come to consensus w/people who really don't think like us."
 
TIME CHECK: only 15 mins left

KATE (Little Village/"Little People"):
Her 21st year in CV
On the issue of "positivity": she just joined Twitter so she could follow "@Trump Regrets" so she could see what regretful Trump voters might be thinking. Comments were like, "Thank you for your willingness to look at your mistake," but she felt it is really important to be "the opposite of critical." She says Community Village needs even more of this spirit, of "we welcome people in, even if they're not exactly like us"; whereas we are "hippy-diverse," "they are diverse in other types of ways, like 'rednecky ways" and need to feel we are inclusive.

NEL: We can do that through "shared values," things we all have in common -- like how we all love our children and everyone enjoys good food.

DARREN (Peace/Justice/Peace Jam):
Booth is comprised of lots of groups, very peace-oriented.
As he watches "the rise of fascism in America," he sees a "widening rift" between those who are genuinely concerned about others & those who are "clutching to this old power culture (Anglo-Saxon, dominant) and fear- and greed-focused.
"If we're going to be a light in that, we've got to get out of this conflict language"
Get out of the "we are this & you are them" mindset
"For whom are we being a light? is an important/relevant question here"
Who is our audience? We want to reach out to Middle America"
So we are being challenged to explore "in what ways can we 'reframe' the messages that we hold dear?"
Also look at how we can engage in conversations "with people who are really fired up"?

SAM: He's done alot of thinking about the Village, "it's the oldest & only coalition of activist groups that crosses every single activist area that people are working in"; we can build on that. Remember, "We all have permission to approach the village differently" so let's see how we can all "create an activist experience" Even the service oriented booths (ie Info, Little People).

KATIE (not speaking as facilitator): We can dialogue with one another w/in the Village "Hey are you doing *this*?" Offer feedback, she encourages us to help new people find ways to get involved in issues and activism. "If I was a young activist who was pissed & a little lost, I might come to the village looking for 'what can I do to make a difference??"

Someone referred to the "Forgiveness Bowl" at Spirit Booth, let's give people a way to deal with these feelings of "we've got a lot of fear & a lot of anger; I don't want it to be just swept away, we've got to do something with it!!"

SUGGESTION: FIRE CEREMONY, just throw your fear into the fire!

JOE M (GreenEarth/Areas): 12 years w/CV
Saturday night cocktail party hosted by GE booth is very and the procession of the Flags of Intention is a "very touching & emotional thing" that we do in the Village.

CHRISSY & RICHARD, (Doors of Expression):
Maybe we should pick our theme earlier, to give us more time to prepare?
We live in an era of propaganda, and one way to counter that is through ART!!1

SUGGESTION: "LOVE IS THE POWER"
SUGGESTION: " RESIST"

LOIS: One of the biggest mistakes we make is to rush the process of getting people involved -- "we need to make sure we help people feel heard" and work more on LISTENING.

BEN (Health & Healing): The booth has been talking about find a way to "extend our gifts out to fair goers & the public" and how we can be "greater warriors of change" & make a good example in the world.

DRAKE: He is "not big on idealism" because his family is from Ukraine, where the oligarchy is in power. His slogan got a HUGE laugh: "OVERTHROW THE DOMINANT CULTURE & HAVE A NICE DAY"

NEL: We got in 45 mins of "sharing" on this -- that's much more than a "discussion"!
MORE ON THIS TOPIC NEXT MONTH.

==============================
UNFAIR ANNOUNCEMNTS: (not quite all of them, sorry)
*This Sat./Planned Parenthood Clinic support & recognition
* Earth Day March for Science -- "And I'm going!"
* Youth Leadership Conference @ UofO (peacejam.org?), teaching young people how to be activists March 10-11-12
Registration for teens 14-18, former Costa Rican President Oscar Arias will be there- his public talk will be Fri March 10
* JOE: KEPM (call sign) 97.3 low power FM station is on the air!! They are looking for help
* No Shame Eugene Community Theatre 1st Friday Atrium Bldg
* Interfaith Service Feb 11th Love Harmony Song
* STEVE: Tsunami Books may be closed / torn down for fancy office bldg! We need to raise some money to help.

RESPECTFULLY (& BELATEDLY) SUBMITTED by KAREN KOS (Green Earth), krenekos@gmail.com

 



Community Village Meeting Minutes, 1-12-2017

Percy facilitating

Site Report:
David shared there are only a few trees are down. One near Shady Grove, mostly cleared up. Soil erosion little to none so far.

Consensus Rap:
Sam jumps up! Consensus is our decision making tool - it has been a big and important value for communication and conflict resolution in the CV maybe since the beginning. We rely on each other to bring an attitude of openness, listening, compassion, and empathy. We do not always agree, but we communicate and listen to gather pieces of the truth. If we all come as truth seekers we arrive at a better truth together than separate.

Eligibility Committee Report:
Katie shared that in the fall council meeting it was determined that 2 council members, 2 booth coordinators, John Flannery and whomever else is excited to get in on it will evaluate 2 booths per year and give reports. Booths would be eligible then for 3 years. A question was answered that yes, it is like the spring evaluation, though more in depth. No one gets revoked, though there will likely be feedback. The Booth coordinator should be part of the process to give context. If there are issues, booths will have a year to correct them. John and Katie will send out dates for the meeting.

ONE FUN THING

Expansion Committee:
Tim shared that the village expansion seeks to open an entrance through the tipi area. He shared that in 2015 the Village agreed to move forward with the project as long as certain stipulations were met. Last year we made displays of potential plans to get feedback. Our neighbors Earl and Diane were not pleased with the plans and felt like they were not properly consulted and that it is all moving too fast. The Village shared that they are not interested in moving forward until it is a win win for everyone. There are ongoing negotiations and we will have another feedback display this year.
A person from the the fair shared that the fair is wanting to get rid of all dead ends at the fair for safety reasons, and also want to make sure the people feel good.
Dea said she felt the fair was responsive to the concerns expressed about the expansion.

Standing for Council:
Tim shared that council is a self-selected group of volunteers that coordinate and support the guidelines of the village, helping to support the best community and best Fair possible, maintaining a progressive vision, networking groups together. Each one of the potential council members will stand up, share what they have done in the village. Please contact the candidate if you have questions. (initial contact must occur within one week, and attempts to settle concerns must begin before the next Council meeting.) If they are questions that could be hard, and you need an ally or advocate we are happy to help. The concerns need to be addressed within a week of this meeting, after that, you lose your ability to block. The council members will be confirmed in the February meeting. Percy reminded us that blocks are not for personal scores but for concerns about the larger community.

David Hoffman (541) 484-9204  fixit@efn.org
Has been part of the council since 1985. He is interested in looking at the fair’s impact on the world.

Tim Mueller 541-521-7208  tim@gwproj.com
Has been on the council for more than a decade. He like having rules. Break them or not, he feel more comfy knowing what they are. He likes upholding them. He also does the theatre of change newsletter.

Oblio Stroyman: 541-579-9289 oblio.stroyman@gmail.com
Lead the MoonLodge for 10 years, and started rainbow village 2 years ago. They served on Council last year, and are very interested in moving the social justice peices of the village forward.

Katie for Diane Albino (541) 933-2584  iriedi@yahoo.com
DIane Albino is not here as she has had a hell of a year. SHe holds the history of the village. She is dedicated and she shows up.

Katie MacCionnaith kmaccionnaith@gmail.com 541 232 0784: I have been on council for 2 years. I want to report that we all pledged to take the humanistic training last year and we all did. Katie shared that she has noticed a big difference in the way the council communicates.

Karla for Drake 541-255-3743
He is in the Ukraine and has been on council. HIs number is 541-255-3743 and will take Skype/phone calls if anyone has concerns.

Karla Cauldwell : 541.337.5319    kjcaudell@gmail.com
(council member, didn;t say how many years) Has been doing the financial stuff for the village and is handing the treasurer money stuff over to Katie. SHe is ready to do new things on the council, and will stay a part of registration.

Sam Rutledge samuelrutledge@gmail.com (541)337-6970:
Serves on the council and the info booth. INfo on website and here. If you leave a voicemail he likely won't listen to it, but will return a call if he sess it. Better or text.

Dea Lisk: 541-543-8832. dealisk@yahoo.com
Works in Spirit Booth, has served many roles including coordinator and healer, Has lead the opening ceremony for about 13 years, with 20 years in the village. She can be reached at

John McCahill (Big John) 541-606-4151 bigsqurlnuts@gmail.com
Has served on Council and in construction and decon. He is at the Eagen WArming Center tonight.

CV as a hotbed of Activism:
Sam asked that the Village discuss activism in the village and its relevance to what is happening in the world at large. We are facing hard times regarding education, arts, and oppressed people. The village is unique in that it serves and gathers a variety of groups together committed to making change. Is it relevant to the challenges the world is feeling? How do we accomplish this?

People shared (Oblio is challenged with names, so not all things are accredited)
We do our best. Maybe in between stage acts we have activists speak.

Katie is excited to see this topic on the agenda and for new groups to get proposed, and noted Rainbow Village as one of these. She shared that she noticed when there are new ideas or critiques about the ways things are, often times she notices hackles goes up in the village.

Oblio shared that being humble is key when someone shares new ideas or points out a way we are not being conscious to oppressed groups. WHen someone oppressed takes the time to point out where the privilege is, they are offering us a gift and is an act of love,  rather than just leaving and feeling that we are awful.

Ben shared that he carries his fair experience into the world. Making change.

Karla shared that we need to have an awareness about how we respond and to do this all year long, not just at fair. To do this for all things we are doing. That sometimes the fair can be the same ol same ol, so we need to increase our awareness about what we are doing there.

It was suggested we have a social media page dedicating the top issues every week or month to something socially responsible.

What are some concrete ways to give activism and current issues more of a voice at fair?

Sam shared the idea that there is a resurgence of activism in the world and it is different than the activism that built the village 40 some years ago. It is having a bit of an identity crisis with new and old guard.

Someone shared that hackles going up is a natural human response, emotional maturity is when we learn how to work with this.

Tim shared that he is counting on our booths to be a hotbed of activism

It was mentioned  that the village is like an activist recruiting center. People want to do something and we need to help them know what to do. Many of us are activists who have been at it a really long time, many people are just now waking up to their activism. It is important to recognize that they may have grief around the oppression and privilege, We can work with that by asking them to come help us NOW. Let’s stop the inner bickering, we are all going to have to do this together.

Cordy from Health and Healing share that they need the information to give the people. Oblio encouraged her booth to seek it out actively over the year as part of their job and mission.

Someone mentioned be careful not to be self-righteous. Yes be responsive, and find places within the given context/booths to make them more relevant.

Our names says a whole lot. Everything starts from the core of a person, and let’s pump up booths to make them stronger and more connected. The speaker hopes that everyone will come to opening circle so we can enter into fair strongly and intentionally connected and together.

Fruit booth mentioned that it has a separate education sub-committee that goes out and sees what is happening in the world of food every year to bring to fair. Booth empowerment!

Oblio talked about the village as a whole taking an allyship training that they may be willing to give, and maybe we can do some booth speed mingling so we can know one another’s concerns, issues, and projects for the year more intimately.

Someone mentioned getting more direct action at fair, akin to getting people registered for voting.

Sam mentioned a skit David Oakes made about dusty leaflets the clown. Point is, leaflets can be effective and at fair may be more effective ways of engaging people. Connecting and energizing the public's interest in causes.

Getting practical, spirit booth did a forgiveness bowl that really engaged the public last year. Something to drop them into the emotional body amidst all the stimuli.

Shirt suggestion, Village for President? Make a song?

Getting to the core about things that we do, how did we get here ? (Trump)

Percy quoted Gandhi about how Goodness prevails

UNFAIR ANNOUNCEMENTS:
MLK Day, 9am, March from Serbu, 10am at Shed, speakers and such with transport back.

Women's March on the 21st. 12-3. Pussy cat hats wear them!

Therapeutic Touch class the 21-22nd of January contact Cordy
Sunday January 15th at the Wayne Morse Ranch (no time given) discussing the ACA

Standing Rock Support Group, get involved, contact Dale 541-343-8242

Katie works for a non-profit that runs the medic site at Standing Rock. They need help moving the smaller camp into bigger camps, and removing waste as it is all going to flood into the river. People with trucks to offer and equipment should contact Katie. Join the Eugene Stands with Standing Rock Page.

Egan Warming Center needs more people, blankets, hats, gloves, and not every site has an occupy medical bag. You can get connected on their webpage or drop donations at St Vinnie’s specifying it is for Eagen.

If you want to give an activist report, talk to Tim by the Sunday before the next CV meeting.


In the midst of sparkling crystals, aromatic foods, and a river of people rests an island of idealism, the Community Village. At the heart of the Fair, Community Village promotes social and environmental awareness by providing a forum for the free communication of ideas. The process of putting The Village together is as significant as the end itself, as we organize cooperatively through consensus decision-making.

Since 1976, we have grown from a modest display of appropriate technology to a community involving the energies of individuals from over 90 organizations.

 
Oregon
Country Fair
 

KEEP INFORMED
it's up to you!

View the NEW CV Drum discussion list
click here to join

View the Announcment Only List
click here to join


OLDER
MINUTES

Village Meeting Minutes 2016

Village Meeting
Minutes 2015

Village Meeting Minutes 2014

Village Meeting Minutes 2012 - 2013

Village Meeting Minutes 2010 - 2011

Village Meeting Minutes, 2009-2010 Seasons

Village Meeting Minutes, 2007-2008 Seasons

Village Meeting Minutes, 2005-2006 season

Archives: from February, 2002 through Fair, 2005

Back to Your Home in Community Village


Community Village is a part of the Oregon Country Fair Family and is dedicated to education, information access, and networking for progressive social change. We create a spiritual center manifesting the Village Vision of love, peace, trust, justice, cooperation, equality, and social service. By believing in dreams, thinking of others, valuing differences, and experimenting with new ideas, we hope to expand our consciousness, growing beyond the Fair into the world at large.


 

 

Community Village
c/o Karla Caudell
1191 Taney St
Eugene, OR 97402


Phone:
Tim Mueller
541-521-7208
Email: Tim@gwproj.com

copyright (c) 2008-16
Community Village

Site by:
GreyWolf Projects