WHEN: AM MARCH 15 TH, 2001

Early in the morning of Thursday, March 15th, the Federal Communications Commision (FCC), along with 8 U.S. Marshalls, 3 local cops, and other agents arrived with a search warrant, battering ram, and drawn guns to search and seize the long running micro-power station, Radio Free Cascadia (RFC) 98.5 FM. People living at the Whiteaker neighborhood residence were awoken and questioned individually as to the operations of the station and people involved. All broadcasting equipment was taken into custody. Radio Free Cascadia has been providing an alternative to corporate radio for over three years to the Eugene community. This was an obvious attack on free speech and autonomy. RFC claims "We will be back on the air!" Stay tuned for more information. RG STORY BELOW

March 16, 2001

Radio station shut down


The Register-Guard

Federal agents seized broadcast equipment early Thursday and shut down an unlicensed low-power radio station operating out of a home in Eugene's Whiteaker neighborhood.

No arrests were made in the 7:30 a.m. search at 77 N. Polk St., but the case remains under investigation by the Federal Communications Commission and U.S. Attorney's Office. Agents from the FCC and U.S. Marshals Service took part in the search with help from Eugene police.

The object of the search was a radio operation doing business as Radio Free Cascadia and broadcasting at 98.5 on the FM band. The station bills itself as an alternative source of community news and political and social commentary.

A statement issued by Radio Free Cascadia said the station has been operating for more than three years and called the action "an obvious attack on free speech and autonomy." The statement said agents arrived with a search warrant, battering ram and drawn guns and questioned residents of the house about the radio operation.

Brian Leavitt, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service in Eugene, said the search followed an investigation of an unlicensed radio station. Several pieces of broadcast equipment were seized and will be held until disposal by court order, he said.

The Radio Free Cascadia statement pledged to resume broadcasts but did not say when.

U.S. Attorney Jim Sutherland was unavailable for comment late Thursday afternoon.